Monday, May 18, 2009

last week at BK

So. After I finished my blog last time. On wednesday, I took a nap. And then tried to be productive that night, though I don't remeber what I did.

Thursday I got up and checked on prices of hotels and plane tickets for my mom, mimi and myself. Then made up a resumé for a local english tutoring center that pays their teachers called CEC. Took my resumé to CEC and filled out the application, then after eating dinner made my way through massive traffic towards CMU's front gate.

The reason for all the traffic is because may 8th of this year, Friday, was the celebration of buddha's birth, death, and enlightenment. So on Thursday night buddhists in Chiang Mai walk the 20 km up Doi Suthep. The walking shows strength and determination and the temple at the top of the mountain stays open all night for people to perform tamboon, or things to earn merit to counteract their karma.

Ken and Dew were going so I decided to tag along for the fun of it, and to say I've walked up Doi Suthep. There were a couple thousand people that walked and it was actually more of a party atmosphere. People walking and talking and drinking and smoking, the school was hazing freshman. So not at all like I expected. It also poured while we were walking. We were soaked, but had fun. Ate some egg omlette on the side if the road on the way, I'll come back to that. When we finally reache the top, we still had 300something steps to walk up to get to the temple. Dew was tired so she stayed at the bottom while Ken and I and their friend A walked the rest of the way up. While in the temple, I started feeling queasy. And the other two were tired, so we didn't stay long. Caught a song teaw most of the way down, then walked to our bikes and went home.

That stupid egg omlette gave me good poisoning so I was up the rest of the night... Getting rid of it.

But fortunately we were leaving early the next morning for a team retreat. So I rested quite a bit while enjoying the retreat. Worshiping, learning, "talent show", swimming an all. It was great and helpful in my recovery.

Sunday we came back, then I napped a little more, and then went met up with Ekk and Meaw and Brook and a few others to eat dinner at walking street, then walked with Ekk, Meaw and Poi to help them with last minute shopping before they left.

Monday and Tuesday I tried to hang out with Ekk as much as possible, and then went to the airport Tuesday night to see the three of them off.

Wednesday woke up and headed to the prison with O, Richard, Thum, and David. There were activities going on in the jail so no class, but we got to sit down and David and Thum talked to Luksit for a while. It was actually a very informative talk. And this wednesday may be my last visit.

Got home and rested, and then went to teach, my student again didn't show. So that as pretty much the last time I would have been able to teach her.

Thursday I ran errands, bought tickets to Bangkok for mom mimi and myself, and then got their hotel rooms reserved. We also had a meeting on thursday, to continue our training from the weekend.

Friday, Glenn and I went and grabbed stuff for Baan Kanoon, and then went and ate. While we were eating I got a phone call from North Chiang Mai University.

I had heard that they wanted some English teachers, so I had called earlier, told them my lack of credintials, and said I would be willing to try. They said they would love to have me so I now have a job working for a university teaching English. Which means I'm not coming home in June.

Friday night we watched a movie, Hancock, and had milkshakes and just hung out. It was a lot of fun. Saturday, outside of talking with a friend online, I was pretty unproductive. I went and watched star trek (AMAZING!!) by myself, and then met up with Ken and Dew. We then waited on Beca and went and ate dinner together at a hidden little spot in MaChaw I never would have guessed was there. Great, cheap food. Love it.

Sunday I woke up and called home, got a few more details ironed out, then spent some more time with a couple friends online, then we had worship at Brookes house. It was really good and increadably fun. That night went to watch Angels and Demons with friends, and then went to bed.

Today. Had lunch and dinner with Ken and Dew, and wrote this. Thursday will be my last day to be officially with Baan Kanoon. Friday farewell party for Beca and me, and then saturday the family arrives.

Then June 5th they leave, and I will move out to Hang Dong, and my semester starts June 15th. So please be praying for all of that. My last few days with this job, my mom and mimi's flight, our travels around thailand, and the new job. Thanks y'all.

1 comment:

Sarah Lewie said...

Hey tell Momma Whertvine that I said hi and I love her. And give each other a big hug for me.

Miss you. =)